Technical Program Manager
Full Time 40 hours Grade 055 Data Science Consortium
9:00 AM -5:00 PM
The Rochester Data Science Consortium (RDSC), an entity founded by the University of Rochester and L3Harris Corporation and administered by the University of Rochester, is seeking an experienced Program Manager. This role will be responsible for managing the overall direction, coordination, implementation, execution, control and completion of projects that the RDSC is engaged in with industry, academic and government partners. The role will require hands-on interactions with commercial entities from pre-startups to core industrial partners to successfully scope and deliver projects in a timely fashion. Given the pace and growth trajectory of the RDSC, this position will require an individual who operates with a “no task is too big or too small” mentality.
The RDSC actively pursues Data Science research and applied data science services in diverse areas such as Health and Medicine, Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science, Financial Services, Energy, Visual Analytics and Geospatial Imaging, Retail, and Quantitative Marketing. Our goal is to leverage the power of UR Data Sciences to transform regional businesses beyond their traditional products to forward-looking, high-value, transformative offerings that propel a redefinition of Rochester as a dynamic economic hub.
- Lead the development of detailed definition of project plan, goals/deliverables and project timelines with key stakeholders
- Negotiate resource availability and create work breakdown structure which includes resource requirements
- Support the Business Development Vice President with assisting with capture related activities, and proposal development as needed.
- Assure the project team’s adherence to the project schedule and act as the primary point of contact for the client from startup through close-out of a project with minimal supervision and oversight
- Utilize a project management platform/tool to track project progress, resources, budget, and deliverables and proactively identify and mitigate any potential project/business risks.
- Provide timely and accurate schedule and financial forecasting for each project
- Assure that project team’s task execution stays within scope of the project statement of work; Utilize good change management practices to evaluate, implement and manage project changes to scope, schedule and budget
- Assure that program execution follows RDSC processes and best practices.
- Develop internal and client facing reports/presentations and present at meetings when required. Assure that all client interactions are of high quality, and that project plans, status, and results are effectively communicated.
- Perform quality control review of all materials before delivered to client
- Assure that all required client status and financial reports are delivered on time and are of high quality
- Maintain project portfolio status report that can be shared at a moment’s notice with RDSC leadership, board and or University leaders
- Act as primary Point of contact for client interactions with project team.
- Perform lessons learned, “post-mortem” at the completion of all projects
- Balance staffing resources between multiple projects; Support project staffing by managing subcontractors and contract labor.
- Escalate, as needed, issues to RDSC management
- Provide leadership, direction and support to project team
- Build strong ties with industry, government and academic partners
- Wear a “sales hat” by ensuring that current partnerships are continually developed and strengthened. Coordinate and monitor customer service issues with an eye towards recommending and managing process improvements
- Identify opportunities for continued customer engagements and follow-on work with Clients. Work with Business Development Vice President to win follow-on business with Clients
- As projects and relationships grow, be willing to manage a portfolio of projects within a given client.
- Keep abreast of trends as they relate to the project management and data science fields by self-study, attending job related seminars, courses or conferences which enhance personal development
- Demonstrated knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of project management/project management tools and techniques
- Experience managing projects for clients external to the organization is highly desired
- Proven experience in leading teams
- Background in strategic planning
- Experience applying solid risk management processes
- Solid organizational skills
- Experience in technical services and/or product development preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree along with 5+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination
- Project management certification (PMP, PRINCE II or equivalent) preferred
- Demonstrated success in a complex, fast-growing technical service environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and management skills.